Tuesday, July 06, 2010

The Magician's Nephew


I saw Eclipse this weekend and one of the trailers* I got to see was for Voyage of the Dawn Treader. This made me want to reread the book, which made me want to read the entire Narnia series, etc. I have not read the entire series so I started with the book my particular box set has labeled as 1. I knew this was the last Narnia book C. S. Lewis wrote and I knew it was a prequel to the series. That was it. I was pleased to discover a fun origin story. I love a good origin story. And this was it. We got the origin of Narnia, the White Witch, even the lamp post and the wardrobe. I did think the Christian tones were a bit heavy handed in one particular chapter of this one. The last chapter though won me over and made me smile and sigh!


*I also saw a trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows so I suspect I will be revisiting that series as well before November. Oooh, and a trailer for Red. Need to put that graphic novel on hold!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool! I saw that Narnia trailer too and just thought, oh, I like the movies so much better than the books in this series. how sad is that? :-( I'm glad you enjoyed them, they've always been a bit too preachy for me. I did rewatch all the previous 5 HP movies before watching HP6, but I'm not gonna do that this time...Might dip into the books a bit tho. And LOL on Rosalie's eyebrows!! too true!