Monday, October 31, 2011

Creepy Reads

I finished two books last week for two work  book clubs. They were both appropriately creepy for the season.

Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor

Laini Taylor was inspired to write these three short stories by "The Goblin Market" by Christina Rossetti.  The first story is about a girl who longs to be wanted and that longing attracts a goblin's attention.  The second is about a girl cursed into silence which is only challenged by first love.  The third is a complex story told in a non-linear way about a woman running from her past and her daughter trying to find out who she is.  These stories are spooky and creepy and I love them.  I can see why this was a National Book Award finalist.  Jim Di Bartolo, Laini's husband, illustrated this book beautifully.  I posted a picture of the hardcover with his art gracing the cover.  The newer paperback edition has a different cover which I do not like.  I recommend this story to anyone who enjoys dark  faerie stories.







Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

A menacing carnival comes to an Illinois town and 14 year olds Will & Jim try to fight the main baddie, owner Mr. Dark.  While Will & Jim may be the main characters, Will's dad, the janitor at the public library, is really the heart of the story.  I love Fahrenheit 451 so I expected to love this.  I did not.  I liked it, but no love.  It can get pretty wordy at times.  There was something about the writing in this book that made me think Stephen King read it as a young boy and it influenced him.  I read that Dandelion Wine takes place in the same town as this book and it makes me want to read it to see the differences.

1 comment:

Marce said...

The cover of LainiT book is gorgeous, I have had it far to long, need to read it.